Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Atherton Tablelands

From Karumba we've headed east towards Cairns and are relaxing around Lake Tinaroo and the Atherton Tablelands.  The area is gorgeous, shaped by many now extinct volcanoes, and lush with subtropical rainforests. 

Highlights include Dinner Falls (where I got the girls in trouble for running off-trail for a dip in the waterfall), Lake Eachum (where I got the girls in trouble for jumping off the viewing platform into the lake), and the massive Cathedral and Curtain fig trees (where I got no one in trouble because now they've caught onto my ways and endeavor to keep me away from the call of the water).  Also spotted some a giant croc (made as a to size model of one shot in the area), lovely wind turbines (made by Germans) and The Crater (made by escaping volcanic gasses).

All this camping and beach and lake is bringing back fond memories from childhood - Longport shore days (41N. Pelham still home to the best outdoor showers known to man), mass camping/skiing trips with the Pittsburghers, and my mum cuddling me to death in the Adirondacks because she feared me freezing or getting eaten by a bear.  With all the international travel I've done/am doing I forget sometimes where the travel bug first bit me.  I sometimes fear returning to the Motherland, but these memories do give me something to I can fondly look forward to revisiting and rediscovering again.

Leave me some comments, tell me when and where I should visit you!

4 comments:

  1. You can visit me in Longport whenever you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visit me in ZAMBIA! You will have always have a place in my hut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Amsterdam there's always a place for you

    ReplyDelete